Thursday, February 2, 2012

Broccoli and Sausage Stuffed Pizza

I cooked the sausage and broccoli the day before I was planning on having this for dinner.  Hey, any little thing to help dinner move along a tiny bit faster!

I like the idea of making the pizza crust in the morning and letting it develop all day.  Mark Bitman uses James Lahey's technique...which is much like the artisan bread Elizabeth and I reference on this blog.
The crust:
2 c whole wheat flour
1 c all purpose flour
1/2 t instant yeast (I used regular)
1 t salt
Combine above in large bowl.  Stir in 1 1/2 c water.  The dough should be sticky...a bit like biscuit batter.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl, cover, and put in a warm spot for 6-12 hours.  Don't use too much flour when forming the crust.  Brush with olive oil and let the dough sit while assembling the toppings. 

I made the Stuffed Pizza with Broccoli, White Beans, and Sausage.
Pat the dough into a 10 by 14" rectangle.  Brush with olive oil (I did not do this).  Heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Prepare the filling:
2 c chopped broccoli.  Just cook it in a pan with a bit of water.
Cook the sausage.  I'm sure slices would be fine, but I used 8 oz bulk Italian sausage.  Add some garlic and red pepper flakes.  Combine the cooked sausage, broccoli, and a can drained white beans.  Spread the filling on the dough(original recipe recommends a bit of ricotta or a bit of Parmesan...I used goat cheese) and fold over the ends.  This dough being wet made it easy to get rid of the seams.  I pulled on the dough a bit.....pulled the top down, then the sides in, then the bottom up.  Because it was moist dough it was easy to pull it together.

Drizzle the top with olive oil and salt; cut 3 to 4 slashes in the top crust to allow steam to escape.  Bake 50 minutes or so.

I had made the filling and held it in the refrigerator overnight.  It just helps to have that part of dinner done when we get home. 

I'm excited to try this dough for pizza too since I usually am not home to put something in the oven an hour before serving.  I just may have another way to make pizza in just a few minutes after arriving home. 

Everyone was happy with this meal:)


Print Page

1 comment:

  1. Interesting combination. I made a calzone recipe with sausage and spinach that I liked.

    ReplyDelete

pin