Friday, July 9, 2010

Santa Fe Rice and Beans


This weekend is a big Swim Meet weekend for my daughter. The challenge is to create a nutritious meal that she can eat before the Finals Session in the evening(around 4 PM) while allowing the rest of the family to eat at the regular time. The recipe below is one that I have created by merging several different recipes.  It is full of good protein from beans and is carbohydrate and fiber rich with whole grain rice. To make this even easier and cheaper, I usually have cooked rice in the freezer(I'll blog about this another day) and I prepare my own black beans and freeze them as well.  The recipe is then simply a matter of thawing, mixing and heating...nutritious, easy and cheap!

Santa Fe Rice and Beans

1-11/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 can rotel
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups cooked brown rice(I sometimes do half and half brown/white)
3/4 cup light sour cream
1/4-1/2 t chili powder
2 T scallions, chopped(use mild onion if you don't have scallions)

Mix all the ingredients in a 2 quart baking dish. Heat for 30-45 minutes.  Serve!

We never have any leftovers of this dish, but I probably wouldn't freeze this particular dish because of the sour cream...

Enjoy!


2 comments:

pin