Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Beer Glazed Black Beans and Chorizo


Mark Bittman does it again.  Another quick and healthy meal. Paul loved this...I liked it...and Eleanor didn't eat it because she thought the beer smell was too strong.  She had a Trader Joe's freezer item. breaded mac and cheese.  Yep, she sure got her fill of carbs with that meal!  And salt too.  I admit I ate one of the mac and cheese bites...um...it's just a little too good for me to have in my freezer very often.


I used the crumbled chorizo...soy version to make this recipe.He does suggest crumbled chorizo as an option. 
Beer Glazed Black Beans with Chorizo and Orange
1 orange
8 oz chorizo, thinly sliced
1 red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 T minced garlic
One 12 oz bottle of beer
3 c cooked black beans, drained
1 T chili powder
1 T honey
salt and pepper
chopped fresh cilantro
Halve the orange.  Peel one half, divide the segments, and save the rind.  Squeeze the juice from one half.
Put the chorizo in th a skillet and cook, stirring to brown for 5-10 minutes.  Add onion and bell pepper and stir until soft.  Add garlic and stir another minute.  Add orange juice and rind, beer, beans, chili powder, honey, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Adjust the heat and cook until thick and bubbly, about 15 minutes. 
We served it over rice with a sprinkling of cheese.  It's Wisconsin, after all.

I was thinking about chorizo when I was making this.  The real kind, not the soy version.  And thinking about how it's become a mainstream food in the past couple years.  Interesting how that happens......I wonder if that's someone's marketing dream...or what? Anyway, it did give me pause to think about the racing sausages at the Brewer games here in Milwaukee and think about the recent (2006) addition of the chorizo.  Maybe the racing sausage has helped to increase the popularity of the sausage.  These racing sausages are really fast runners and make appearances in the area.  I guess it's a bit odd...but we wear foam cheeseheads here as well!


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin