Friday, February 3, 2012

Noodles with Spicy Vegetable Stir Fry




Nothing like a library book to bring me out of the cooking dinner doldrums!
Mark Bittman's book The Food Matters Cookbook really helped me out this time.  I was thinking that I didn't have any more recipes/food blog posts in me anymore.  I'm happy to have been proven wrong.. again and again...with great ideas.

I cut the vegetables for this a day ahead of time and threw them together in a ziploc bag.  I figured I can pull out the onions first and then the other vegetables.  It will save loads of time when I try to get this together on a later evening. This is going to be the "carb" meal before s swim meet this weekend.  It's a big meet, so some carbs and veggies ahead of time sound good.

I went to Sendik's and Trader Joe's this week to complete my grocery shopping.  I was a bit afraid of the TJ run since Eleanor has told me how well I did last time I was there.  The pressure is on!  Hopefully I got some things that will maintain my grocery popularity, but one never knows....

I got ready for the weekend (besides serving this) by making some things for the coach/official room at the meet and making a batch of hummus and a batch of granola..good quick eats. Plenty of items stocked in the freezer and pantry too for when we need fuel to get us through another swim session.

Noodles with Spicy Vegetable Stir Fry
2 T vegetable oil
1 large onion, halved and sliced
1 c chopped or grated carrot
2 T minced garlic
1 fresh hot chile, minced
zest of 1 lime
1 1/2 lb eggplant, zucchini,summer squash (or combo), cut into chunks (I used zucchini and a small amount of broccoli and some red bell pepper)
8 oz noodles ( I used soba)
1 c coconut milk
1/3 c peanut butter
1 T sugar or honey
3 T soy sauce
black pepper
cilantro or basil..did not use
lime wedges..did not use
Cook noodles and drain.  Save a bit of the cooking water.
Heat oil.  Add onion and carrot and cook until softened.  Add garlic, chile, and lime zest.  Then add veggie mixture(zucchini, summer squash, whatever). Cook about 15 minutes.

Whisk together:
coconut milk, peanut butter, sugar, and soy sauce.  Add coconut mixture and noodles to skillet.  Add the reserved pasta water if necessary to moisten it.

I really liked this.  Paul didn't comment.  Eleanor said it didn't live up to the other recipes from this book, but she would eat it again...just not often.  Her bias is peanut butter in main dishes....she just isn't a fan. 


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin