Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Pasta with Smoky Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Bacon

 Pasta with Smoky Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Bacon
This is from my library checkout of Mark Bittman's book.  It's a bit tricky for me to make things that take time in the oven before serving since we aren't usually home an hour before dinner.  I like the idea of throwing something in the oven and having it done an hour or so later, but it just isn't a reality in this house.  Except sometimes on Tuesday evening.  Eleanor swims on Tuesday morning and returns for a double by swimming after her violin lesson every other week.  But, that means every other week we are home by 5:15 or so and in for the night. That's a good time for me to make a "throw in the oven" meal.  I can do that on Sundays at times too.

Anyway, my browse through this cookbook turned up this recipe.  I love sweet potatoes for the flavor and the nutritional value.  Hmm....and what can be bad with bacon added?

The words to describe this were, "earthy" and "hearty".  Paul thinks it would be good with the soy chorizo from Trader Joe's...either instead of or in addition to the bacon.  I served it with broccoli and cooked the broccoli in the same water as the pasta.  I did pull out the broccoli for serving, but...if you look closely, you can see some feral broccoli in the pasta.

My changes:
  • smoked paprika...I have seen it but since I already have Hungarian and Spanish paprika containers I decided to go with what I have.  Maybe next time I'll try some that is smoky, but I just didn't want to have three paprika versions on the shelf.  
  • red onion...kinda the same as above.  I had 1/2 red onion, so I used that.
  • no chives
It's a keeper!  Cardworthy, for sure.
This just in:  I got a text from Eleanor today during her lunch hour, "I cud eat the pasta thing all day every day".  

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin