Thursday, December 23, 2010

Chorizo, Potato and Mushroom Tacos


I don't think I have ever eaten a recipe from Rick Bayless that I haven't liked. Many of them are a bit more involved than what I can make on a weeknight which is about the only negative thing I can say about the recipes. I do have a couple of his cookbooks and love to spend a day cooking from the recipes in the book; however, this recipe is a practical version for a quick and delicious weeknight dinner. A couple months ago we spent the weekend in Chicago and tried his newest restaurant, XOCO. No surprise...it was excellent!

I did not use Yukon Gold potatoes...using whatever type I had in the pantry. I did bake them the day before so they would shred a bit easier. I have shredded them raw and added them, it's a bit more work to shred but doesn't change the taste of the final dish. I was baking squash for another recipe, so I thought I would put the potatoes in the oven to bake as well. Also, I use plain ol' button mushrooms instead of the shiitake mushrooms called for in this link. I do bet that shiitakes are delicious in this recipe though...it's just that I had my version on a recipe card and my version calls for any kind of mushroom. Although on the evening of the picture I didn't use any mushrooms. I didn't have the cilantro to add this evening either, and it really does taste best with it added.

I served it with some Wholly Guacamole from the warehouse club. Luckily I have a couple more packages of the guacamole in the freezer because it's really good! I just can't pull together making my own on a weeknight.

Tomatillo salsa and corn tortillas seem to go the best with this, besides the guacamole. We topped the tacos with feta cheese and sour cream as well.


Trader Joe's soy chorizo is my option for a lower fat, vegetarian version of this. That is what is pictured; however, regular chorizo works well too. Just take it out of the casing and use as the recipe directs. The first time I used this Paul was a bit disappointed that it wasn't "real" chorizo; however, he has fully converted to this version and actually said that he likes the soy version better!!! I think that is because it is a lot less greasy and not as gristly.

Quick, hearty, and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin