Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fajitas

There are many nights when getting a healthy meal on the table can be a time-challenge.Here is a great, easy weeknight meal using chicken or beef! Variations are endless and you can use either fresh or frozen vegetables.

This week has been a challenge because three of the four "week" nights I have had meetings relating to the start of school or a swim meet. Tonight is the 3rd such evening, so fajitas it is! Last week I had an over abundance of sweet peppers which I blanched and froze intending to use them for fajitas. Tonight's fajitas will be chicken with fresh onions and frozen peppers!

4-6 chicken breasts, sliced thinly into strips
1 onion, sliced
1-2 sweet peppers, any variety, mine are green, orange and yellow
2 T Penzey's Fajita Seasoning
2 T water
1/4 c oil
1-2 T lime juice

I follow the Penzeys Fajita Seasoning recipe on the back of the jar which suggests mixing the seasoning with the water, allowing it to hydrate and then adding the lime juice and oil.  This is the marinade. Tonight I marinated the fresh chicken and onion for several hours...because the peppers were frozen, I waited to add those until the cooking process.

I sautéed the chicken and onions and when they were about 1/2 way done, I added the peppers.  I served the fajitas on soft tortillas from the warehouse club with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and  sour cream. Last week we received a yellow-fleshed watermelon(a first for me!) in my CSA box which was part of dinner as well.

I usually keep a bag of frozen peppers and onions mix in my freezer so this recipe can be thrown together quickly.  My store brand is Roundy's and they have this combination all the time. Check your local store!

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin