Saturday, September 17, 2011

Popovers

If you're a regular follower of Linkthis blog...or if you know our family...then you know that it's all about the hot breakfast at this house. We started making these when Eleanor was really little after getting the book, Pretend Soup by Mollie Katzen. It's a fun cookbook for kids with illustrations as well as the written recipes.

It's fun to see how cooking has changed since my first cookbook, Buffy's Cookbook. I got this book for Christmas in 1971 from my brothers and do remember making things from this book. I wrote my comments in the book on the recipes I tried...just like my mom did in her cookbooks. This was long before Buffy was a vampire slayer and the name was associated with the television show "Family Affair". A few years ago I was talking about this show with some friends and the question was asked if Uncle Bill and Mr French were a couple. Hmmm.....after asking my 1970s trivia cousin this question he assured me that my memory of this show was safe since these men retired to their own quarters every night. Not that it matters...or as they say on Seinfeld...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Buffy's recipes include a no-cook recipe for marshmallow kebabs. Just so you know I made that on 1/27/72. They were made on a plastic straw (no sharp skewers here) and had pineapple and cherries. Since this was in the early 70s I assume the fruit was canned. For comparison of cooking trends changing there is a Bright Pink Fruit Dip recipe in Pretend Soup that calls for frozen raspberries to be added to the cream cheese for the dip.


Ah...back to the popovers:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Brush muffin tins with melted butter (usually makes 12 popovers)
Break 2 eggs in a mixing bowl. Add 1 c milk and mix well. Add 1 c flour (original recipe says to add 1/4 t salt...I omit this). Whisk until reasonably blended.
Using 1/4 c measure pour into each muffin cup.
Bake 30 minutes without opening the oven.
Remove and prick with a fork to let out the steam.

See the very cool illustrations to help kids make these recipes! There was a restaurant in Minneapolis that served popovers in a basket instead of bread. Very Cool..but I think it's gone now. Guess we'll just have to make them at home either for breakfast or in a basket with dinner...either way...YUM!

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin