Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fresh Tomato Pie


Yum. Yum. Yum.
I was thinking about what to do with a few remaining tomatoes and had even looked up some tomato pie/tart recipes last weekend. I used most of the tomatoes for other things and moved on. But, at work on Friday my friend Cindy said her dad made tomato pie for us. Now, people often bring food to work but it is usually more sweet than savory dishes; and, while I do like both, I really really like savory things. I could smell this one down the hall and had to try her dad's version.

I did let her know that giving me a recipe gives me the freedom to blog about it, so I'm not surprising her with posting it here. I give credit to the person passing the recipe to me...but it is fair game once it's in my hands!

It was wonderful pie! Cindy brought the recipe since she probably had a feeling one or two of us would want the recipe:) I think everyone wanted it. I came home and made the pie that night with a few adaptations since I really didn't want to go to the store. Mostly I just substituted the kinds of cheese. I used Swiss instead of mozzarella since I had an opened package of Swiss and the fresh mozzarella was still sealed. I did not have Romano but had Parmesan and Asiago. I'm going out on a limb here...but I don't think it matters what cheeses are used. I had white cheddar instead of colby...you get the idea. It's a recipe that adapts.

Her dad used a frozen pie crust...which I must say tasted great. She said he picked his basil right before making the pie , but I had some in my refrigerator from the CSA box last week. I made my own crust...just 'cause. I used cheese I had in the refrigerator instead of the kinds he did. Paul raved, and I mean raved, about this.
Here's the version I had at work:
1. Frozen pie crust in pie plate. Prick with fork and brush with 1 egg white. Bake at 425 degrees for 12 min or until golden brown. Let cool completely.
2. Line sides and bottom with mozzarella cheese. Then add a layer of sliced tomatoes chopped onion (vidalia is his recommendation), and chopped basil. Add a layer of baby bella mushrooms (not done in the version I had at work or at home).
3. Lightly sprinkle olive oil over all. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
4. Top with colby, Romano, asiago and a little Parmesan
5. Bake at 350 degrees 30 minutes.

His recommendation is to use roma tomatoes....not as much seeds/juice. I used small regular tomatoes and it was fine. Cindy just said large tomatoes probably wouldn't work as well....too much skin (although you could peel them) and juice (although you could drain them).

It got cold here this week which is early for frost in southern Wisconsin. We didn't get frost...we are right along lake Michigan, but it's coming so these tomatoes have numbered days. This was a great way to enjoy them fresh from the garden.

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin