Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Black Bean Soup

Last summer I made a batch of Day by Day Vegetable Medley from Myrecipes.com. As I recall, it was an attempt to use CSA produce, including eggplant, peppers and tomatoes.  This recipe makes about 10 cups of the Medley and the recipe has meal ideas attached.  I proceeded to make the shrimp recipe that was listed and it was awful.  Needless to say, I had about 7 cups left of the stuff so I threw it in the freezer in 2 batches.


When digging through the freezer today, I found it...now, what to do with it. I decided to try a black bean soup, but did not make the recommended recipe.  Instead, I just went with what seemed to make sense.


First I put the mixture in the cuisinart food processor and pureed it.  I then set about cooking a bag of dried black beans.  I roasted a jalapeno pepper I had received from the CSA.  I added the roasted and seeded jalapeno to the eggplant mixture and then threw everything together with the beans, adding 1 teaspoon of cumin.  This produced more of a stew, so I thinned the mixture with about 2 cups of chicken broth.


The finished product is delicious...I will serve it with sour cream or Greek yogurt and it will be a fantastic Monday night soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin