Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Roasted Tomato Salsa


 This past week I looked at the counter where I keep tomatoes and thought, wow, what am I going to do with all of those? Then the CSA box came and I got even more tomatoes!  We are a family that likes salsa, but not in abundance so I knew I needed to find a recipe I could freeze. I found Roasted Tomato Salsa at Myrecipes.com. This is an amazingly easy recipe and very quick considering it involves roasting.  I did alter the recipe slightly based on what I had.

I used 3-3.5 pounds of tomatoes, a mixture of grape, plum and regular tomatoes.  I also used a Garden Salsa hot pepper and a Hungarian Yellow hot pepper in place of the jalapeno.  In future batches, I will use less hot pepper, this turned out quite hot! I would also advise against using grape tomatoes, it was a pain to peel them!  In my situation they had to be used, so it was worth the effort not to waste them.

A couple other changes...I didn't add any tomato juice, I think the combination of tomatoes added to the juice content so it wasn't necessary.  I also had just a few sprigs of cilantro, so since we love basil with our tomatoes, I added some fresh basil.  I did use salt and pepper, but omitted the vinegar.

Print Page
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin