Sunday, October 9, 2011

Homemade Applesauce and The BRAT week

My husband got hit with a bad infection on Thursday night/Friday morning that will require a BRAT diet for the week. Most of you with kids are familiar with this acronym...Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast.  It is the recommended diet when you have tummy troubles. So, it is time to get creative. My husband saw the acronym and immediately thought Brat as in Bratwurst and thought, wow, I can have a brat? Uh, no, you cannot have a Brat.                                   

 There are two apple trees along a main road near my house that produce lots of apples but never seem to be harvested. A couple of years ago I raided the trees and made enough applesauce to last the winter. Given the need for applesauce and the beauty of our fall weather, Brian and I decided to raid the trees again!

Homemade applesauce is simple. Quarter the apples, remove the core, cook in a large pot with about a cup of water and put the mixture through a food mill. The resulting product will be slightly pink (from the skin) and delicious.  It can be frozen for future use.  If you don't have a food mill, you can peel the apples and then process them in a food processor.  I like using the food mill, it reminds me of my grandmother making applesauce...the novelty of pink applesauce has never gone away and my kids love it.
Needless to say, my bucket of apples made a LOT of applesauce...Rough estimate, 30 cups. I won't be buying any this year! My applesauce can even wear the "organic" label because I can guarantee no one is spraying pesticides on these trees!
Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin