Saturday, October 29, 2011

Carrot Quick Bread and Pumpkin Muffins!

This is the time of year my kids ask for their favorite pumpkin bread recipe made into muffins. As I look back in the blog, I realize that I have never posted the actual recipe for pumpkin muffins that I use all the time.  That recipe, which is originally from cooking light, has served us well for years.  I usually double the recipe and use one can of pumpkin...here is the link Pumpkin Muffins.

I sometimes go overboard when making purchases at Costco. Last winter, I bought too many carrots...meaning big carrots.  I thought I would be making enough stews etc. to use them all, but it became apparent that I was going to have to get creative or wasteful.  My decision was to cook and puree the carrots, freeze the puree and hope for a  further use. This puree has been staring at me every time I open my big freezer, so on this very rainy and windy day, I decided to thaw a container.

Once the puree was thawed, it was evident that I had seasoned the carrots, but I'm not sure what I used.  As I looked around the pantry, I came across some canned pumpkin and thought, hey, I can make carrot muffins instead of pumpkin muffins! I had about 2 cups of puree, so I followed the Pumpkin Muffins recipe, doubling it.  I did add another teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice and 2 Tablespoons of ground flax seed. The batter tasted very similar to the pumpkin batter and the finished product was delicious! I made bread, not muffins, but everyone loved it.  This turned out to be a very moist bread. Next time I might use 1/2 t more pumpkin pie spice and not a whole tablespoon.

The best is those carrots didn't go to waste!
Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin