Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Chicken Soup

Chicken Soup! This is a favorite at our house and varies with the vegetables I have on hand. There are about as many versions of this as....hmm...as....hmm...something anyway! This version came from a pediatrician at work who is also a mother/grandmother. A grandma and a pediatrician in one person...sounds like good chicken soup to me. The secret ingredient in this version is a few scrapes/shakes of nutmeg. This is the version of chicken soup most commonly requested in our house, Dr. B's chicken soup.

You can see her notes below. I'll outline it just in case you aren't as skilled as I am in reading doctor's handwriting:)





1 entire chicken plus 2 legs/thighs (split and skinned). Put in soup pot and add water just to cover.
Add:
1 boullion cube
1 bay leaf
5 whole peppercorns
1 onion, whole
Start to boil, then simmer. Add:
broccoli stems, cut up or whole
3 each carrots and celery, cut up

While simmering skim off the foam. Cook about 20 minutes or so...until chicken is done. Remove the chicken and pull it off the bone and add it back to the soup. When reheating to a boil throw in a handful of egg noodles and a few scrapes of nutmeg (this is the key). Add more chicken broth if needed.

As with all chicken soup, it's good to add whatever vegetables you have! I almost always add broccoli tops as well. Another friend thinks that a turnip is the secret ingredient.

I made a batch of this and didn't use it for a dinner but rather Eleanor and I had it for lunch most of the week. She told me that things in the thermos are her favorite lunches, so I made butternut squash/apple soup for her this week.

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin