Friday, March 25, 2011

Englishman's Curry Chicken and Spinach


When I worked at American Red Cross in St. Paul I worked with some of the best home cooks. Every day was a fun experience to take a break and eat lunch together and share cooking ideas and recipes. I can't imagine that I will ever work with so many good cooks again....and not just good cooks for special meals...but people cooking good food nearly every night of the week. Since it was a group of fellow nurses the focus was on relatively healthy recipes yet very fast since we often worked late hours. I have special memories of everyone heating their lunches and the room being filled with good smells and...the best part....sharing recipes. Since I was newly married at the time and no longer traveling with my job, I was anxious to start a recipe collection (which has grown over the years, as you can tell). This one is from Joyce....a great cook and a great mentor!

I think that is one of my favorite things about cooking (besides the good result). I love the memories of getting the recipe from a friend and thinking about that person on some random day while cooking their food. The blog has been a fun way to dig out some recipes I have put in the back of the recipe box for some unknown reason and re-try them. I hadn't made this in years, but I remembered liking it, so here it is. It's a bit like finding that sweater in the back of the closet and realizing that you still like it!

2 chicken breasts, cut bite size
2 t vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 t garlic
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
1/4 c mango chutney
2 t curry powder
4 c spinach, cut into 1/2" strips
1/2 c sour cream

Heat oil and saute onion. Add chicken. When chicken is no longer pink decrease heat and add garlic, tomatoes, chutney, and curry powder. Stir. Sprinkle spinach ans steam for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in sour cream.

Serve over rice.

For the spinach I used 4 cups of mixed baby greens since I had a huge container of baby greens for salads, and it worked just fine.

I'm not sure why it took me until recently to figure out that it's a good idea to chop the chicken breasts and THEN freeze them. It makes the prep go so much faster and less counter to be decontaminated on the day of using the chicken.
Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin