Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Radishes....love 'em or hate 'em



The title pretty much sums up radishes, I think. We're not huge fans in this house. Paul likes radishes...but they don't like him. I'm not a big fan but will eat one or two.

That's the thing about joining a CSA....there are some items that just aren't favorites. We do like most things so this generally isn't a problem, but radishes and celery root both seem to grow really well in Belgium, Wisconsin. The positive part is that I can try some new recipes....and there must be a nutrient in there that my body needs.

Last year I tried to make pickled radishes after Elizabeth threw that idea at me when I was wondering what to do with CSA radishes. They were pungent. Very very pungent. So strong that I didn't even try one last year. So, this year I thought I would try the chips suggested in the Rare Earth Farms newsletter this week.

Here it is:
10-15 radishes, sliced thin
Place in bowl with tight lid and add:
1/4 t garlic salt
1/4 t paprika
1/4 t pepper
1 t olive oil
Shake the container until slices are coated and place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 275 degrees for 20 minutes then turn. Bake a total of 60 minutes or so.

Look at the picture of the gorgeous sliced radish. Isn't it amazing that something can be so pretty?

Some friends stopped over when I was making these. I think they thought I was a bit...crazy....on this one.

I did bake the "chips" much longer than an hour and then left them in the oven to dry overnight. I liked them. Yep, my bar was low, but I still thought that they were tasty. I did not like the texture though since they were still moist but still ate them. So, I think this is project for the next time I get these radishes....figure out something with these flavors but with a better texture maybe? At least I'll be a bit excited the next time radishes come in my box.
Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin