Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breasts

This recipe...or the original anyway...comes from Weber's Big Book of Grilling. Paul received this book from some friends in Laguna Nigel when he was visiting them a few years ago. They had two copies of the book and thought we would enjoy it. I'm not really sure how they ended up with a couple books...but we sure benefitted from it.

I made the filling on a day off and then was able to quickly pound and stuff the breasts when getting home from work.
Filling:
2 T olive oil (I used 1 T or so)
1 t dried thyme
1/4 t red pepper flakes
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts
2 t minced garlic
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
3 T minced sun dried tomatoes (I rehydrated dried tomatoes)
2 T finely chopped basil

In med pan combine oil, thyme and pepper. Warm a couple minutes. Drain and chop the artichoke hearts. The original said to rinse them...I didn't rinse. Add to the pan with garlic, salt (I omitted), and pepper and cook 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Stir well.

4 large chicken breasts (with skin)
Pound these to 1/4" or so thickness. Place skin side down and put stuffing in it. Fold in half and use toothpicks to skewer the sides closed.

The flavors of this dish seem very 90s to me...goat cheese and sun dried tomatoes, I suppose. That's not a bad thing...just sayin'.

This was served with fresh green salad with lettuce from the CSA and with mozzarella pearls and fresh basil and fresh tomatoes sprinkled with balsamic.

I roasted broccoli by cutting into bite size pieces and sprinkling with olive oil, salt and pepper and baking at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or so. My neighbor made broccoli this way and Eleanor raved about it when returning from a babysitting job at their house.

The meal was a bit heavy on the cheese with cheese in the chicken and the mozzarella balls...but this is America's Dairyland after all. The dairy was balanced by the vegetables that were very fresh...so I think we're OK!
Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin