Sunday, October 31, 2010

Old South Pulled Pork with a side of Oven Roasted Vegetables

Cooler weather has finally moved into Wisconsin and while I am not complaining about the beautiful October we had, I am looking forward to our first batch of this great pulled pork recipe. I found this recipe in a newspaper, but as many of you know, I have moved around a lot! This could have been from the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinal, but it also could have been from Boston, Cincinnati or Minneapolis! Wherever it originated, it is REALLY good.  I usually buy my pork shoulder from the warehouse club and since they sell the shoulders in 7 lb or 15 lb packages, I usually double this recipe and freeze the pork in meal-sized portions.

Ingredients
1 T vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 T chili powder
1 t cracked black pepper
1 c chili sauce
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c cider vinegar
1 T worchestershire sauce
1 t liquid smoke
3 lb pork shoulder

Saute onions, add garlic, chili powder and pepper. Cook, stirring 1 minute. Add chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, worchestershire sauce and liquid smoke. Bring to a boil. Place pork in Crock Pot, pour sauce over the pork. Cover, cook on low for 10-12 hours or high for 6 hours. Shred meat, removing large chunks of fat and serve on rolls.

I served this meal with a side of Oven Roasted Vegetables. I don't really think this deserves it's own post, so I will include it here...

3-4 potatoes, peeled or unpeeled and cut into 4-6 chunks per potato
4-6 large carrots, cut into sticks
2 sweet potatoes
1 fennel bulb, diced

Basically I melted equal parts of butter and olive oil in a roasting pan and tossed in all of the vegetables except the fennel.  I seasoned the vegetables with salt and pepper and roasted for 30-40 minutes at 400°F. Then I added the fennel and cooked about 20 minutes longer until all the vegetables were tender. This made a lot of vegetables, but I am sure they won't last long around here.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin