Friday, October 29, 2010

Old Apples and Wilting Peppers

I am a fanatic about not wasting food...if I bought it, I better find a way to use it, so as I foraged in the refrigerator the other night, I found two old apples(still ok, but not something you would want to bite into) and at least 6 sweet peppers that were either starting to show their age or they were ok.

The nice thing about apples, add a little sugar and heat and you get pie filling! I had two apples, a yellow delicious and a fuji, so I melted about  a tablespoon of butter in a saucepan and added the peeled, diced apples. After a few minutes I sprinkled a Tablespoon of brown sugar and some cinnamon over the top and continued to cook the apples until they were just tender...the product was a dish of scrumptious apples for each of my kids for Sunday supper dessert!
As for the peppers, I cleaned and sliced these and blanched them in boiling water for about 5 minutes. Once they were blanched, I quickly cooled them in an ice water bath so they would stop cooking. After draining them, I packaged them in ziplock bags and froze them.  They will be great for a quick batch of fajitas this winter!
Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin