Saturday, October 23, 2010

Salsbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy

When I mentioned that I was going to make Salisbury Steak for dinner a coworker called me June Cleaver! My husband assumed I was serving him a Hungry Man Meal! Yes, it is a throwback to the 50s, but I have been operating without an oven for two weeks and grilling is getting old.  I figured I could make the recipe on the stovetop, and my family loves comfort food, so I forged onward, despite the comments.

I had a 3 lb. package of ground beef in the freezer, so I made this recipe and the recipe for Hearty Burritos(see post for 10/26, something to look forward to) on the same day. I forgot to take pictures, so you will just have to remember your childhood or google images for salisbury steak.

I used the Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy recipe from myrecipes.com. The only change I made to the recipe was I used vegetable broth instead of beef broth.Once the gravy was made, I put the salisbury steaks into the gravy and simmered them on low until they were cooked through. I served the steaks with mashed potatoes and a vegetable, a clear meat and potatoes kind of dinner. The recipe says that you will get 6 patties out of the ground beef mixture, I got 8 so this made two full dinners, one went into the freezer. Next time I would make more gravy, probably doubling the ingredients.  When I do serve the 2nd meal, I will need to make gravy since we ate it all.

My kids declared it very "meatloaf like" but they liked the twist with the gravy. I found the gravy awesome, the addition of red wine made it rich and flavorful and, let's be honest, I think I dumped more than a 1/2 cup in the pan!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin