Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Honey Pie Cafe Potato Cheddar Soup


Fall...time for soup. Elizabeth has it figured out with her Tuesday night designated as soup night. I'm flying by the seat of my pants a bit more as far as when to have soup!

I clipped this recipe from the local paper....click on the link above to see the original. Although I haven't been to Honeypie Cafe yet it is on my short list of places to go but looking at the menu I may have some tough decisions on what to order. I took this recipe and adapted it to make it a bit quicker and decrease some of the fat. Having never had the original at the restaurant, I really don't know how mine compares. Anyway, the version I made was good and satisfying for us, so I'll let you decide!

My version of this soup:
2 T. butter
1 c white wine (Trader Joe's two buck Chuck)
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 c skim milk
almost 1 lb white cheddar, grated
1/4 c chives
box chicken stock

Melt the butter in a stockpot and add carrots, celery, and potatoes until starting to soften. Add wine and stock and simmer for an hour or so. Let cool and mash with a potato masher or use an immersion blender to smooth the soup.

I went this far and put it in the refrigerator until after swim practice. When we got home I heated the soup and added the milk and let it heat for 15 minutes or so. Then I whisked in the cheddar cheese and added the chives and cooked another couple minutes.

Fortunately, I have some chives in the yard, so I clipped those and used them. Also, I have that bottomless bag of par-boiled turnips in my freezer, so I threw in some of those also.

I served this with artisan bread (see the link)...a warming dinner on a cool fall night!
Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin