Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Black Bean Salad




I can't tell you how I got this recipe...it's a secret I have to keep. It was sold at a deli and I would crave it after traveling through the land of cream of mushroom soup (aka Minnesota). The recipe has been adapted a bit, so I feel like I can share my version of it. It can be eaten as a salad or as a dip for chips.

3 c dry black beans, cooked
1/2 red onion
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/4 bunch of celery, diced

Mix together for dressing:1 1/2 T. lemon juice
1 T red wine vinegar (apple cider vinegar works too, if that's what you have)
1 T. cumin
1 T. coriander
1 1/2 T. paprika
1/2 c oil
1 T. crushed garlic
1 T. Spike
1 t cayenne
2-4 T. cilantro, chopped
1 T. chili powder
dash of salt, if needed
OK...I know that the ingredient list is huge, so I break this down a bit. Throw together all the dry spices when you have a few minutes. Then, add the rest of the dressing ingredients and store the dressing in the fridge another time when you have a couple minutes. Dice the vegetables when you can and throw them in with the black beans. This gets even better if it sits for a couple days.

I have to plug the Spike...a Milwaukee product made at the facility where a mutual friend works. I have tried this recipe without Spike and found that it isn't as good.....you have to use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin