Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Hearty Burritos

If you have been following the blog, you will know that I made these the same day I made the Salisbury Steak recipe and I forgot to take pictures...sorry! Hopefully everyone knows what a burrito looks like.

This recipe has been around since 1996, the year we moved back to the US from Europe. I was back in the states and was thrilled to have refrigerator and freezer space available to cook and freeze meals. While living in France, my refrigerator was the size of an old-fashioned apartment sized refrigerator and the freezer was proportionally small! Not a lot of cooking and freezing happened!

These are budget busters...one pound of ground beef makes a minimum of 16 burritos! The original recipe claimed to make 8 burritos, but I have never made less than 16 and this time I had filling left over so I made 3 more burritos using smaller tortillas I had in the refrigerator.

Ingredients

1 lb ground beef
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 16-oz package frozen, cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed*
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 c frozen corn, thawed
1/2 c salsa
1/2 c cooked rice
2 t chili powder
2 c shredded cheddar cheese (need more if you make more burritos)
8 10-inch tortillas(I usually use 16 or more)

*I have used shredded hash browns as well as freshly shredded potatoes.

Sour cream, Chopped tomatoes, guacamole, additional cheddar cheese, salsa

Brown ground beef with the onion and green pepper, drain. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheddar cheese on each tortilla, top with about 1 cup of the beef mixture. Fold sides and ends over the filling.

Wrap burritos individually in foil and freeze for up to 3 months or place seam side down on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. Serve with condiments.

To use frozen burritos, thaw overnight and continue as directed.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the recipe. Much better fresh than reheated. But its so easy to make up as needed.

    ReplyDelete

pin