Monday, October 25, 2010

Chicken Tacos


This recipe is a two step process; however, it isn't very difficult. Elizabeth talked about the Sendik's meat sale...that lead me to this dinner idea. We have eaten it for years since it's quick, hot, and delicious. When Eleanor was 7 years old she commented that I should make this after every swim practice! It's that good.

I bought the package of chicken pieces and felt that I should cook this down and freeze the meat, so I threw the chicken parts in the crockpot with a few inches of water and bay leaves and let if cook all day on low. I let the pieces cool and took the meat off the bones and discarded the skin and bones the night before garbage day (Yay...they went out the next morning!!!). I threw the shredded meat into a freezer bag and left it for another couple weeks...then I had the main ingredient for a quick meal.

In a slow cooker combine:
1 can refried beans
1-2 sliced jalapeno pepper (I used green pepper this time since I had some from a friend's garden. I have left this out and it was fine too)
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
shredded chicken (see above)

Sometimes I combine everything in the slow cooker crock the night before so I just have to plug it in and turn it on the next day.

Cook on low for 6 hours or so..it will be hot and bubbly. Serve on tortillas (we use the cheap ones from the warehouse club)with salsa and sour cream or whatever taco toppings you like!

Everyone was happy when they saw what was cooking for dinner. And, there were leftovers for wrap filling the next day.

I got a picture of the combined ingredients in the crockpot before the battery on my camera died. You'll just have to imagine how it looks wrapped in a tortilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin