Monday, October 11, 2010

Corn Chipotle Soup


This recipe is from the Flying Star restaurants in Albuquerque. I think that this recipe was in Bon Appetit years ago...maybe even when the restaurants were called the Double Rainbow (I think that was the name). Anyway, Flying Star restaurants are just one more reason it would be the best to live in Albuquerque (OK, so my list of reasons to live there is so long I don't think I need to to even add anymore).

I have to admit, I have never had this particular soup at the restaurant, but I have never had anything less than an excellent meal there. Whenever we visit New Mexico, we need to go to Flying Star multiple times to get our fix to last us until the next visit. Good thing our friend Carol, an Albuquerque resident likes it too!

OK...back to the soup.
2 T. butter
Melt that in the pan and add:
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced

When these ingredients start to soften add:
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
2 c. water
2 T. chipotles in adobo
2-14 3/4 oz cans creamed corn
16 oz. package of frozen corn
1 c. skim milk I guess that the original recipe had cream)
1 t. oregano

The spiciness of the soup can be varied on the amount of chipotles put in it and somewhat on the spiciness of each can. You may want to go light on the chipotles and let each person add their own amount. I buy the cans of chiles when I am at the Mexican grocery store in town, El Rey. Even the small can is a lot, so I will whir the contents of the can in the blender and freeze that in small amounts (like Elizabeth's pesto). Then, I can use small bits to flavor enchilada, chili, or burritos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin