Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Spicy Sesame Soy Rice Noodles


I saw this on one of my favorite food blogs and wanted to make it some evening soon.  The opportunity was there the other night...and I was even able to use some edamame already in the freezer.  The author of that blog is cleaning out her stockpiles of food in preparation for a move; I am cleaning mine in preparation for summer harvest.  Just seems like a good idea to get to the bottom of that freezer (and the back of the pantry) every so often.  At times I will do the pantry cleanse...but it's a bit more controlled this time.  Just thinking that it will be nice to have room for vegetable storage....

The garden is growing a bit.  At least it's growing enough for me to have my chives and my cilantro in this dish.  Something (besides us) has been eating away at the parsley, so I have to harvest a bit of it to be sure we get some.  My parsley plants were gifts from a friend who has moved, so I need to keep them alive so there's just a tiny bit of her left in Wisconsin.  Cilantro always seems a bit on the wimpy side when I try to grow it; although I do dedicate a small bit of space to it.

I'm not a huge gardener but enjoy my tiny (very tiny) bit of fresh ingredients right from my yard.  The arugula looks great as do the onions.  We'll see what else come our way.

 Recipe is from www.preventionrd.com
It was adapted very very slightly by me. 

Spicy Sesame-Soy Rice Noodles with Tofu and Edamame
1 package extra firm tofu, cut into cubes
 I drained mine a bit and pressed it to remove excess water.  I placed it in a colander with a plate on top and a jug of vinegar on the plate.  I did this for an hour or so.  That helps to hold it together a bit more in the cubes.
 8 oz dry Pad Thai rice noodles
1 T olive oil
1 T toasted sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
3 T soy sauce
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups shelled, frozen edamame (unsalted)
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
chives, chopped

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment and mist with olive oil. Arrange tofu on baking sheet, misting with olive oil to coat. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to boil. Add the rice noodles and cook for 6-8 minutes, until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
Heat the olive and sesame oil in a large saute pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the garlic; saute 1-2 minutes Add the noodles and toss for just a few seconds.
Add the soy sauce, broth, and red pepper flakes and toss. Stir in the tofu, edamame, cilantro and chives. Serve hot with rooster sauce for some extra heat.


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin