Sunday, June 24, 2012

Shrimp and Vegetable Pasta

This one is from The New Basics Cookbook....Shrimp and Vegetable Pasta...
adapted, of course.

This is the recipe that prompted my grandma to bring a can of spam and a couple slices of white bread to my house.  She just didn't understand how we could eat all those............vegetables!  As I mentioned in my post about her soup (BTW: her soup is delicious....posted Nov 28, 2010), it is a bit difficult to argue the vegetable benefits with a healthy 90 year old.

Be that as it may, I like vegetables.  And I like this pasta recipe.  When we were eating Eleanor asked why she doesn't remember having this before since it's so good.  I suspect that the long ingredient list is part of the reason....but most likely I just forgot about this.  The recipe adapts well to whatever vegetables are on hand...and is colorful.  My thought is that the fresh dill is a must.  After that...substitute away!  I made half the recipe in the link and used cooked shrimp (I will tell you why in the next paragraph),  It came together quickly (despite the long ingredient list) and was a great dinner for a warm summer night. 

My plan was to make this without the shrimp since fish tacos were on the menu the same week.  After Paul was home and called me as I was leaving work he inquired about dinner.  I mentioned that I was making this without the shrimp(in hopes he would start dicing the peppers).  I guess that was disturbing to him(either the lack of shrimp or doing the work of dicing the peppers), so he ran to Sendik's to get a bit of cooked shrimp from the deli.  He's been on a bit of a protein bend lately, so he was glad to do it for that reason as well.  The cooked shrimp made this dish come together really quickly.  And I will admit....it was really really good with the shrimp.
before the pasta is added

1 lb shrimp,peeled & deveined
1yellow peppers, 1/4" dice
1 red peppers, 1/4" dice
1/4c chopped fresh dill
1 t dried tarragon
1tb chopped chive
dash dried red pepper flakes
couple grinds salt and couple grinds pepper
1/4c  lemon juice
1/3 c olive oil
1 1/2c frozen peas
8 oz pasta

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin