Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Chowder

Buffalo Chicken Chowder

I lied.  Well, when I typed that I was tired of Buffalo chicken flavors I meant it....just that it has since turned into a lie.  I'm ready after finding this recipe on the prevention rd website.  Hmmm...this should be a good thing to make on a busy Monday that happens to be Paul's birthday. I need something that he will like yet can be made easily for a busy weeknight.

My adaptation was to mix all the liquids together and pour all put approximately 1 c into the crockpot.  I then added the flour to the remaining liquid, stirred, and poured it in the rest of the ingredients.  Seemed like it save a bit of pouring and transferring. I didn't have celery seed but found celery salt in my pantry, so I used that instead and omitted the salt.

Here's my version:
4 1/2 cups (about 2 large) yukon potatoes,cubed
1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken, cubed
1/2+ onion, roughly chopped
1+ cup (about 4 stalks) celery, chopped
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half
2/3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup wing sauce
---------
Garnish with:
blue cheese crumbles
celery stalks, cut in half
drizzle with wing sauce

I chopped the chicken, celery, and onion the day before and threw it in a ziploc.  Chop potatoes and add to slow cooker.  Add ziploc ingredients, celery salt, pepper, thyme, and red pepper flakes.
In a large measuring cup mix together half and half, broth, and wing sauce.  Pour all but 1 c or so into the crockpot (this does not need to be accurate).  Add flour to remaining liquid and mix well. 

Crockpot (like how that's a verb?) on low for 12 hours or so and serve with crusty bread.

Umm...Paul was a bit disappointed to be having a crockpot meal on his birthday.  But, this was good, so I guess it was alright that it was quick and easy for a birthday dinner. 

After having a bit of time off work and an even longer bit of time off swimming, I knew day one wouldn't leave much time for cooking.  It's tricky after a break since I have to remember all the things I do to get ready in the morning like pack lunches and make a Dutch Baby for breakfast.  Along with showering, getting dressed, and packing for the Y, that was all I could manage even with getting up 15 minutes earlier than I usually do.

It seems like a good dinner on Sunday night and Monday night will set the tone for the week.  I think it's going to be a good one....

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin