Sunday, April 29, 2012

Fig Jam

Leftovers in the refrigerator included bleu cheese, bacon, and arugula, so I thought I would throw together a pizza.  Also, I had some of the refrigerated dough (Jim Lahey's recipe) in my freezer, so this would be a great way to use a lot of this.  A quick online search gave me the idea of making a fig jam to go on the pizza.  This is not much different than a previous blog post from 12/4.  At that time I thought it would be good with bacon and arugula...that's what I did on this round.  The home-made fig jam was a nice touch. It is a bit better than using the dried figs since dried figs tend to dry out a bit more when placed in a hot oven!  Mmmm...and the carmelized onions with a dash of balsamic vinegar.

The pizza is a bit like one I had a few weeks ago at Ushers in Moorhead, MN. My niece and I both ordered this off the appetizer menu and were pleased with our dinner choice.  I topped mine with arugula this time instead of the asparagus.  Ushers is in an old building along the Red River, so it's beautiful to sit and look at the river and watch the sun set.  There's even an old stone pit on the grounds where a bear was once kept. Yea, I think that's a bit strange also.

Fig jam...just waiting to made.  We're huge fans of the sweet version; however, it needed to be a tiny bit more on the savory side for dinner.  Combining a number of recipes, this is what I made:
1 c dried figs
2 c water
1 t lemon juice
1 T maple syrup
Cook all ingredients down for 30 minutes or so and blend with an immersion blender.  Now it's ready to put in yogurt or on pizza. 
pizza with arugula

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin