Friday, April 27, 2012

Crockpot Sesame Chicken


I'm developing a relationship with preventionrd blogger, but she doesn't know it.  I suppose I should post on her site and let her know how much I enjoy her recipes and pictures; however, I have been in the background for quite some time.  Her photography is beautiful and her recipes are good.  Those are the recipes that are getting me out of my seasonal struggle to make dinner.  This time of year is hard since we don't have much in the way of fresh produce for inspiration in the upper midwest.  It's coming, I know. I turned to that blog for some inspiration this week and found this.

The honey used in this recipe is from Dakota Boys and Girls Ranch, an organization that has people working with at-risk youth.

 Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
Reluctant is the word I would use to describe my desire to put ketchup and cornstarch in a recipe.  But, I decided (in part due to the beautiful photography), that I would go for it.  The amount of honey in the recipe made me hesitant as well, but I decided to trust prevention rd food blogger on this round.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup honey ( I ran out...probably about 1 T or 2 shy of the 1/2 c so I subbed in agave nectar)
2 T low sodium soy sauce
1/2 onion, diced
2 Tbsp ketchup (decreased a slight bit from the original)
1  T extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced, pressed or grated (omitted since I didn't have it)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 T cornstarch
Garnish:
2 T sesame seeds
chopped peanuts
cilantro
rooster sauce (this one really balanced the sweetness)
Put chicken into crock pot.
In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through.
sauce. Remove chicken and shredWhisk cornstarch into liquid in the crock pot. Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened.  Add the chicken back to the sauce until it's warm.

The timeline on this one is a bit tricky for me.  On Tuesday afternoons we do stop home for 30 minutes or so after school, so that's when I pulled it together and put it in the crockpot to eat after practice.

The roasted broccoli tasted great (as always) and went well with the chicken.  
.Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin