Monday, June 13, 2011

Tropical Sweet Potato Salad

I clipped this recipe from a newspaper a number of years ago; I think it was from the Milwaukee paper but am not sure of that. I did an online search to see if I could find it but wasn't able to find it...and I searched a number of different ways. Anyway, the clipped recipe makes a large quantity and I will post it as it is in the original; however, I typically make 1/2 recipe. I decrease the sugar a fair amount also..just because I don't like things so sweet.

This is a favorite at our house...lots of good flavors and good vitamins too.

Here's the original:
4 1/2-5 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 3/4" chunks
1 c olive oil, divided
2 T white balsamic vinegar
2 T rice wine vinegar
1/3 c mango chutney
2 T orange juice
1 pineapple, cored and sliced int 1/2" thick rings
2 t ground allspice
1 c brown sugar
3 mangoes, cut from peel into cubes
1 1/2 cucumbers, diced
2 large jalapenos, seeded and minced
1 1/4 bunch green onions, sliced thin
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Toss sweet potatoes with about 1/2 c olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Roast about 20 minutes or until tender. Chill immediately in refrigerator.
Meanwhile preheat grill or broiler and prepare dressing by whisking together remaining 1/2 c olive oil, both vinegars, the chutney, and orange juice.
Mix all spice with brown sugar and season one side of pineapple rings. Grill. Let cool and cut into chunks.
Prepare mango, cucumber, jalapeno peppers, and green onions, then mix with cilantro and cooled sweet potatoes. Add pineapple and toss with dressing until coated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 18-20 servings.

I make about 1/2 a recipe and decrease the sugar to half (so 1/4 c..even a bit less). I have used lemon or lime juice instead of orange. I have found the sweet potatoes take much longer than 20 minutes until they are tender. Chives substituted for green onions this round.



Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin