Friday, June 10, 2011

Buckwheat Pancakes and the Seward Cafe



This recipe comes to me from the Seward Cafe in Minneapolis which is the BEST breakfast place I have ever been!! It's a funky place where the order is placed at the counter and then the customer's name is called to pick it up. I'm not sure what part is the most fun.....listening for the fun and creative names, people watching, or eating the delicious food. It was organic and featured locally grown items before that was hip and trendy. We used to ride our bicycles there nearly every weekend in the summer since it wasn't too far from our house. A good breakfast place must serve real maple syrup and make hashbrowns from potatoes at that location, in my opinion.

The breakfast dilemmas for me was....to get the buckwheat pancakes (with real maple syrup) or an Earth breakfast. The Earth breakfasts are potatoes with various toppings....red earth...green earth...red and green earth. Check them out on the link to Seward for the accurate descriptions. It was helpful to get the pancake recipe so I could order the earth breakfast when I was at the restaurant and make the pancakes another day at home.

The perfect summer weekend in Minneapolis as far as eating when we lived there was to ride or bikes to Seward on Saturday morning and then to ride our bikes to French Meadow on Sunday for breakfast.

My friend and former coworker, Linda, introduced this place to me. She is the person who asked for the pancake recipe and got the original version and passed it on to me. This is the reduced version since the original calls for 4 cups of buckwheat flour and 10 c whole wheat flour.

The pared down version:
1/2 c buckwheat flour
1 1/4 c whole wheat flour
1/2 salt
2 1/4 t baking powder
Mix together.
In another bowl combine:
2 eggs
1 1/2 c milk
1/4 c honey
Add dry ingredients to wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin