Saturday, December 11, 2010

Peasant Soup


 Another winner from myrecipes.com! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I did a lot of cooking last weekend...this the final meal I made and we enjoyed it on a Monday Night after swim practice...a cold monday night when soup and fresh bread was just the ticket!

Once again, I didn't really like the directions for this recipe. When I make soup, I always sauté the vegetables and seasonings before I add any liquids.  I think this adds depth of flavor to the dish.  I also made a few changes to the ingredients!  Here is what I did...


In place of the angel hair coleslaw, I used some frozen cabbage I had and some of the red cabbage that I used to make the cabbage slaw I posted yesterday.
In place of the kidney beans, I used black beans.
I only used about 12 ounces of sausage...I needed some sausage for another recipe! 12 ounces was plenty...

I sautéed the onion, carrots and celery with the parsley and salt and pepper until the vegies were tender and the onions transluscent. Then I added the sausage and cooked it for about 5 minutes. I then added all the broth and cooked it for about 30 minutes. I added the remaining ingredients and simmered the soup for 30 minutes or until the vegetables were tender.

This soup is hearty and delicious...I highly recommend it!


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin