Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Mulligatawny Soup


One of our favorites. I lost the recipe I had copied from a friend's Joy of Cooking book years ago. I had a version of it on a recipe card...but if you follow the link that's about what I do BUT I cut the fat down to 1 T of butter. I do still like the flavor of the butter rather than changing this to olive oil, but a bit less than 1 T. seems to lose the fat but not the flavor. I have used cooked chicken if I have it. If not, it works to put the chopped chicken in the broth and cook it in the soup.

I use 1/2 c of coconut milk if I have it. If not, skim milk works just as well also. I added a handful of peas as well.

Eleanor took a bit of heat over the color of this soup at lunch the other day. Interesting comments about the color from kids who will eat colored candy and drink sports drinks. I told her to tell them about turmeric and all the healthy properties traced to it. Regardless of the truth of these health claims, the soup sure is good!

Also, check out the new blog link I added. Looks like there are some good recipes and ideas on this one. I'm excited to get a chance to go through some of her older posts.



No comments:

Post a Comment

pin