Saturday, December 18, 2010

Cookie Flops


I'm not a huge fan of baking..which may be surprising when you look through some of the posts. I like to bake a little bit but am really not a fan of baking cookies since the fun wears off before I run out of cookie dough. But, it's Christmas, so I felt like I should make a few cookies.

I have memories of my grandmas and my mom making many varieties of cookies. The Italian cookies...not much of a fan of those. I loved wintergreen candy when I was a kid....sweetness, really almost pure sugar rolled in sugar with some red food coloring (so the candy was PINK) and wintergreen extract topped with a pecan half just begging to be eaten around the pecan half saving the nut to pop in the mouth as the last flavor blast. My mom's sugar cookies were always a hit...fun to decorate and eat. But, now I just don't want a lot of cookies around since I don't need any extra calories in the form of cookies. Since Eleanor has a nut allergy she has never been a cookie fan, even if I make the cookies.

Despite all this, we decided to try a couple new recipes on a recent Saturday. We sure didn't come out of the day with any recipes to keep.

The first ones we made because I had gotten the recipe at work years ago when working at Red Cross and the staff would bring in cookie plates for the office staff. I must have liked these since I still had the recipe even though I have never made them. I decided to make these because they call for a large amount of cornstarch...and due to a Forensics demonstration speech last year I found myself with a lifetime supply of cornstarch. It's much like the chocolate syrup Elizabeth had for fake blood but she ended up with yummy cupcakes out of the deal.

Anyway, they sure weren't good and the recipe will need to be tossed after this adventure. I was ready to throw away the cookies but Paul assured me that people at work will eat anything. The cycle continues...maybe that's how I ended up with this recipe in the first place.

Melting Moments
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 c butter
3/4 c cornstarch
1 c flour

Mix all ingredients until blended. Chill dough. Roll into balls and bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Frost while the cookies are still hot with 1 c powdered sugar, 2 T butter and a bit of milk until it is spreadable consistency. Sprinkle with Christmas sugar while you frost.

The second cookie we made was from a cookbook that my friend Carol gave me when I was visiting her in Albuquerque a few years ago, Simply Simpatico. She does not like to cook but had gotten this local cookbook so when I was copying a recipe out of it she told me to take the book. This dessert wasn't bad...just a lot of work for a mediocre result. Maybe if these were made in a pan instead of miniature muffin tins I would like them a bit better. It was too much work for the end results. I may try putting them in a pan and then sharing the recipe depending on the outcome of that.

Score:
New Cookie Recipes: 2
Karen: 0
I'm behind...I'll have to either catch up with some old favorites or find something new that we like.

Oh...and there is still a cornstarch glut in my pantry.
Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin