Wednesday, December 8, 2010

One Dish Chicken and Kielbasa Rice



 Once again, a recipe from myrecipes.com! If you haven't noticed already, I love this website! Anyway, I was doing a bunch of cooking this past weekend and this was one of the dishes I made...the actual recipe, One Dish Chicken and Kielbasa Rice was just an "outline" for what I actually created, but here are the changes I made.

I used about 5 ounces of Kielbasa(left over from Peasant Soup recipe, that will post soon)
I used about 12 ounces of Chicken breast
I used regular long grain rice, not parboiled
I omitted the olives and the green pepper
1 used fresh garlic
1 used 1/4 t turmeric
I used about 2 1/2 cups chicken broth

As I read the recipe, I didn't like the way it was put together, so I did my own thing! First I sautéed the chicken in the olive oil with plenty of kosher salt and pepper for a few minutes and then added the onion and sausage. When the onion was translucent, I added the minced garlic. Then I added the rice and continued cooking until the rice was coated with the juices in the pan. I then added the chicken broth and turmeric, brought it to a boil and then reduced the heat to a low simmer and covered the pot. Since I used regular rice, the total cooking time took about 20 minutes. You need to watch the rice, making sure you have enough liquid to cook the rice, but not too much or the rice will get gluey. At the end, I added the peas.

This was a winner with my family and it is definitely a budget stretcher...I used 2 chicken breasts and a little sausage and created at least 6 servings...in the future I would probably use all the sausage called for in the recipe and cut back on the chicken...the sausage is an important element in the dish...




Print Page
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin