Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sweet Potato Kale Bites

Sweet Potato Kale Bites

Greens are growing well in our dry sunny summer.  That is, if the CSA box is any indication of growing conditions in the midwest this summer.  I do try to use what comes in the box during the week instead of trying to preserve it.  I'm guessing if greens are so good this week there will be more so I can stock the freezer a bit more later this summer.  I like having some of the things in the freezer for the winter; however, I like challenging myself to see if I can use them the week I receive them too.  Typically there are enough vegetables for both current menu and winter eating!

I made Sarah's quinoa salad with some of the kale.  I made Rick Bayless' chard potato tacos.  And then I tried this recipe.

One of our favorite summer places to eat is Northpoint Custard Stand on Lake Michigan.  It's got great burgers and is right on the lakefront.  Sometimes we ride our bicycles there to try to offset the burger and fries and custard calories....and we have gone to beachfront yoga before indulging.  We were trying to be extra healthy eaters before heading there for burgers the other week, so the greens came in handy.  And then we had this recipe the night following the burgers, so I think we're all good with food karma now.

I like the idea of making these little bites in a muffin pan.  The original recipe calls for a mini muffin pan while I used a regular muffin pan since I didn't want to do so many batches.  And, bonus...I didn't have to wash the muffin tin after making popovers....just made these the same day!

My sister cooks a number of things in mini-muffin pans to try to entice her daughter to eat bite size vegetable servings...mini quiches with spinach, for example.  She inexplicably ended up with an anti-veg daughter.  Funny how that works.  Guess those babies/toddlers/teenagers like to remind us who is really in charge.



Sweet Potato Kale Bites from www.thesweetslife.com
-4 whole medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
-2 tbsp milk
-1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1/4 whole red onion, chopped
-1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
-4 cups kale, chopped
-1 pinch salt & pepper, to taste
-1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
-3 pinches ground flax seed, for topping

Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and boil for 15 minutes, or until soft. Drain potatoes and mash them in a large bowl with the milk.
2. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, garlic, onion, and red pepper flakes. Saute for about 1 minute before adding kale and cooking until wilted.
3. Add kale mixture to the sweet potatoes and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Fold in black beans and mix to combine well.
4. Heat oven to 450F. Grease a muffin pan. Evenly spoon potato mixture into the muffin pan, filling each to the top . Sprinkle tops with ground flax seed. Bake for 20-25 minutes before broiling on high for a few minutes until the tops are golden and crunchy.
5. Allow tray to cool for 10 minutes before removing carefully with a spoon or fork.


A bit of salsa on each of these tasted great!
Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin