Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Iskiate

chia seeds
Ch....ch....ch....ch...chia.  Remember those commercials every December for the Chia Pet?  That's what I think about every time I say "chia".  If you know what iskiate is, chances are you have read,  Born to Run by Christopher McDougall.  I read the book but didn't immediately go out and buy chia seeds.  In fact, I really forgot about them until I received a recipe that called for some (more on that in the next couple weeks).  My friend, Kelly, said that she had a huge bag of chia seeds so she would bring some for me...and she did (see above).  I started thinking about the iskiate in the book, so I made some on a day I could have used a bit more energy.

Sad to report, I wasn't feeling a zap of energy after downing this...nor was Eleanor.  The texture is a bit slimy and odd...but not unpalatable.  There are a number of recipes on the internet...all mix chia seeds with water, add citrus juice (lemon or lime usually), and a sweetener.  The proportions I used are:
1 T chia seeds
10 oz water
Mix and let sit for about 10 minutes.
Add:
2 t honey
1 T lemon juice
Serve over ice

I may have to try it again...just to see if I can get some super powers.  In the meantime, I'll keep my running shoes:)



Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin