Monday, May 23, 2011

Spinach Pie

What to do with all the cooked and frozen greens in the freezer? There were a lot of greens in the CSA box earlier in the year that needed to be used before the growing season begins. I thought I had used all I had but found a few more hiding near the bottom of the freezer. After receiving the box they are usually the first thing I start cooking just to reduce the volume of items for refrigerator storage. Although the recipe says spinach pie, this is a green medley pie for my version!

I do like to serve this with the Greek Chicken Pitas (see 8/9/10 blog). I wouldn't mind just having the spinach pie by itself for dinner but I think that others in my household prefer to have it as a side dish.

Combine:
2-3T. melted butter
1 c bread crumbs
2T Parmesan
Put mixture in a pie pan and pat to the bottom of the pan.

Mix together:
10 oz package of frozen spinach (thawed, drained...and by drained I mean squeezed dry) or whatever greens are in the freezer that make a couple handfuls of this wet mixture
2 green onions, chopped or a handful of chives from the pot on the patio (OK without as well)
2 c cottage cheese (non fat is fine)
1/4 c feta
2 T flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 t dillweed
Pour on the crust and top with remaining crumbs.
Bake 40 minute at 350 degrees.

For us it's hard to have the 40 minute baking time since we are hungry when we all arrive home from the Y. I will often bake it ahead and either eat it at room temperature or heat it in the microwave.

I do think that there are better versions of spinach pie/spanikopita out there..but this one seems to be tasty for the minimal amount of time it takes to prepare. This version came from a cookbook owned by a friend of mine...coincidentally it is a US Swimming cookbook. I did look for the book online to link to this post but wasn't able to quickly locate it. I remember her saying that it was a fundraiser (selling these books) for a swimming neighbor. It was a fun coincidence that she has this cookbook, and lucky for us with this recipe.

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin