Sunday, September 19, 2010

Scones and Smoothies






A good Sunday morning breakfast! These may not be healthy scones like the recipe Elizabeth posted..but we do like these...white flour, refined sugar and all!!

When fruit is good in the summer I make sandwich bags of frozen fruit and yogurt to keep in the freezer. I freeze the yogurt in ice cubes trays (not unlike Elizabeth's pesto) and place a couple cubes of yogurt and fruit in each little bag. That way, I can empty the packet in the cup of the immersion blender, let it thaw, add milk, and whir it with the blender. (Almost) instant smoothie...and it preserved that yummy summer fruit!

I decided to make scones as well. I have a few recipes that I use but this is a favorite. I don't know where I got it...but here it is!
Strawberry Orange Scones:
2c. flour
1 t bkg powder
1t. bkg soda
1/2t salt
1/4 c sugar
1/3 c butter
6 oz. yogurt
orange zest/orange juice
1c. chopped strawberries
Combine the dry ingredients. Cut in butter with pastry blender. Add yogurt, orange zest, 1 t. orange juice, and strawberries. Stir until it forms a ball. Flatten into a disk and bake at 400 degrees until a fork in the center comes out clean...maybe 20 minutes or so. To make it extra special I made frosting with powdered sugar and orange juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin