Saturday, December 1, 2012

Skinnytaste Egg Nog

Egg Nog....one of the things that rings in the Christmas season.  I like it; however, often the store version is a bit too sweet for me.  Typically I add a bit of milk to it and end up with just the right amount of sweetness.  It's not something I drink every day during the Christmas season...but as an occasional dessert.....I'm there.  Since my intake is so limited, I really wasn't in the market for a lighter version of it; however, I thought it would be fun to try making the version from Gina, of skinnytaste.

www.skinnytaste.com is where the recipe can be found.  Or use this hyperlink to get directly to the recipe skinnytaste eggnog.  Paul and I enjoyed this for round one after it was made; however, I wasn't a fan of the texture after it sat for a bit.  So, a good experiment...a fun little project...likely I will make it next year.  I will still likely order my fully sweet and whole-milk version from lwdairy, as I usually purchase one per year.  It's as rich as the chocolate milk we order from our local milkman on each of our birthdays and really speaks to limiting the amounts of decadent beverages....I guess I would rather have a tiny bit of the really good stuff than more of the not so good stuff.  But, that's me:)

Skinny Eggnog

  • 3 cups 1% milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
  • rum
Heat 3 cups milk in a medium saucepan with vanilla.  Simmer over medium heat.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar and cornstarch until it turns light yellow.

Temper the eggs by gradually pouring the hot milk mixture, about 1 cup at a time, into the egg mixture, whisking constantly (this is important, otherwise you'll make scrambled eggs). Pour the mixture back into the pan. Place over medium heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the eggnog begins to thicken, about 6-7 minutes. 
Spike the eggnog with liquor, if desired , and garnish with nutmeg.


No comments:

Post a Comment

pin