Sunday, December 9, 2012

Fluffernutters...or Fat Elvis....Outside the Comfort Zone

Perhaps you're wondering how I ended up with marshmallow fluff in the larder?  I tend toward the healthy and less processed side of foods, yet I found a recipe for pumpkin pie fudge a number of months ago.  I got the ingredients to make it and charged the girls with spending a fall Sunday afternoon making it.  Needless to say, the softball stage wasn't measured quite right, and we ended up with a gooey sweet mess.  A few spoonfuls of that ended up being enough sugar to sustain us for quite awhile.  And, to be completely honest, I sent Paul and our exchange student to do the dirty work of purchasing the marshmallow fluff.  I have an image to maintain, you know.  Wink.  Wink.

As the pumpkin pie fudge was attempting to be made, I remembered the fat Elvis sandwich that Eleanor loved.  A restaurant that has since closed made it...marshmallow fluff, peanut butter, banana slices.  Theirs was toasted and served with chocolate dipping sauce.  I was also remembering a co-worker in a past life telling me that whenever she was away for the evening her husband and her daughter made fluffernutters.  That term was new to me at the time....and I couldn't imagine I would ever make one.  But, I had a few dollops of marshmallow cream (although I think it is spelled "creme"), so I thought it would be a fun change for the girls to have in their lunches.  I didn't have chocolate dipping sauce (aka Hershey's syrup), so I sprinkled a few chocolate ships in the sandwich.  This sandwich got rave reviews!  I even had enough fluff to make it one more day in the same week.

Now, I'm out of fluff.  I'm debating how I can get some in the future.  A disguise when grocery shopping?  A trip to a far away suburb?

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin