Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Sweet Georgia Brown Chili


This recipe came as part of www.preventionrd.com's chili contest.  It's one of those contests that I think I should enter, but the time period passes before I get my act together.  Too many other things to do before that right now, I guess.  But, I still can reap the rewards of getting a few new recipes.  I'm not much of a collector of anything except recipes, but I really love my collection of any recipe but especially chili recipes.

I adapted this recipe.  Shocking, I know.  And I really like how it turned out.  I debated throwing in that much brown sugar and putting in any whisky.  Glad that I did on both counts since I think those are key.  I made the chili on a Sunday night through the 20 minute cooking time.  All I needed to do on Monday after work was add the last few ingredients and chop a few items for garnishes which came together quickly.

Sweet Georgia Brown Chili adapted from www.preventionrd.com contest where it was the chili contest winner!
2 oz dried ancho chiles, seeded and torn into large chunks
2 cups water
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 large green bell peppers, chopped
1 large red bell peppers, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
20 oz 99% lean ground turkey breast
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz) petite diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) + 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
6 oz tomato paste
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1/2 Tbsp ancho chile powder
1 1/2 Tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp cocoa

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup whiskey
1.5 oz bittersweet chocolate (70% cocoa)
Directions:
Combine ancho chiles and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium-low heat for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly and transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth.
In a large stockpot, heat canola oil over medium-high heat; add onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the ground turkey; cook until no longer pink, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon. Mix well until incorporated throughout the meat and vegetables.
Add the pureed ancho chiles, black beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Add spices, stirring to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for approximately 20 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
Let cook for 5 minutes to allow the mixture to thicken. Add brown sugar, whisky, and chocloate and let simmer for about 10 more minutes. Serve garnished with grated bittersweet chocolate.
Yield: 12 cups.


No comments:

Post a Comment

pin