Friday, May 11, 2012

Tuna Melts

I love tuna...but am really not much of a "tuna mom".  I guess I have had too many tuna casseroles in my life!  In a former life I traveled throughout the rural midwest and was kindly served tuna casserole nearly every Friday from a Nesco roaster.  It was my favorite meal of the week...surpassing hamburger hotdish with tater tots as well as Oriental casserole.  So, I really enjoyed it...but burned out on it a bit.   And, I grew up in the 70s when tuna casserole was in its heyday.  But, every time I have canned tuna I remember that I really like it.  Eleanor came home from a friend's house a couple years ago raving about their dinner....you guessed it...tuna casserole.  Tuna does make a good, quick, nutritious dinner even though it's much maligned.

Somehow we ended up with a few cans of tuna in our pantry.  Most likely I bought one or two cans and Paul did the same.  I had some leftover grilled cheese slice (Yep....Deli deluxe American slices) from my other 70s craving a couple weeks ago....grilled cheese.  Never having been much of a grilled cheese mom either it's been an adventurous month into the retro world of cooking!

I sliced an avocado on the mound of tuna and the sliced cheese, put it in the panini maker and served it with strawberry salad.

My friend Kelly is the sandwich mom extrodinaire.... having them for dinner frequently.  It's a great idea...everyone gets theirs the way they like it.  Depending on the ingredients it's an entire balanced meal in a neat little package.   Just the thing to use up bits and pieces of leftovers as well.  And a great summer meal since it won't heat the kitchen.

I think I'm headed to a bit of a sandwich tear.....watch out freshfamilyfoods......here come the sandwich posts!

What's not to like? 
Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin