Friday, May 25, 2012

Grilled Pizza

This is a summer favorite at our house. It's a bit of work, but every time I make it I think that I could eat it every night of the summer. Our old Weber grill that was handed down to us finally gave out, so we purchased a new one and had this as the inaugural grilled meal. I was new to blogging at the time of the inaugural meal and didn't take a picture.  And then another summer went by.  So, I made sure to take the picture early in the season this year. 

I love this recipe so much that I saved the entire issue of Bon Appetit from July 1997 , just so I can look at the pizza pictures again and again.

I make my own pizza dough but the original recipe does say that a tube of refrigerated dough can be substituted as well. I have made the crusts ahead of time to speed up the cook time on the day of the pizza. Whew, this recipe is a bit of work but so worth it.

This is my version...changed a bit from the original.  I'm pretty loose on making the topping.  I usually just drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar over the finished pizza.  And the cheese.....decreased a great deal from the original and usually sprinkle some goat cheese and parmesan.  And usually that's it for the cheese.  Sometimes I use tomatoes...sometimes not...

Toppings: Grilled Italian sausages (can be done ahead of time), roasted peppers (jarred, if preferred).  We grilled on Saturday night last weekend, so I had Paul grill the sausages and roast the red pepper.  That way on Sunday night these would come together quickly.  It's a lot of work at crunch time otherwise.  I have made the crusts ahead of time too....partially grilled.  That has worked well when we have had people over for dinner since it's quite a bit of last minute tasks, 

We found that it makes quite a bit of dressing, so I would recommend cutting it in half or using the remaining dressing as salad dressing.  A few homegrown chives on the top are a good substitution for the green onions. 

The basic recipe adapts well to highlight whatever is garden fresh.  The herbs aren't ready yet, so I used dried basil in the crust.  Not nearly as good as fresh herbs, but it was still delicious pizza.

The "trick" is to put the toppings on the most grilled side.

This is the underneath. 

Ready to put on the grill.

Finished Product

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin