Thursday, January 19, 2012

Greek Pizza with Spinach, Olives, and Feta

 I had this recipe on a card but don't think I ever have made it.  It must have been from before I was deciding cardworthiness before using a card for the recipe.  Anyway, I have wanted to make it for a bit.  I think that the original came from the Sunday paper...maybe the glossy insert?

I had a large bag of spinach from Sendik's and had used some in Elizabeth's cavatappi recipe.She hasn't posted that one yet, so it's coming at some point, I hope.

1/2 c mayonnaise
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 c crumpled feta, divided
12" prebaked pizza crust
1/2 c dried tomatoes plus 1 T of the oil (I rehydrated some and used 1 T olive oil)
1/4 c pitted black olives
1 t oregano
2 c baby spinach leaves
1/2 small dried onion, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Mix mayonnaise with the garlic and 1/2 the feta.  Spread on partially/mostly baked crust and sprinkle with oregano.  Top with the olives and tomatoes and bake for 10 minutes or so.

Take it out of the oven and top with spinach mixed with olive oil.  Sprinkle the onions on top of this mixture (I used the Rick Bayless trick of running cold water over the onion slices to take the bite and aftertaste out of the onions).


I made my own pizza crust before swim practice, so it was ready to go after we got home.  I baked it for 10 minutes or so earlier in the day and left it out until we got home.  I used mayonnaise sandwich spread with garlic and herbs because we had two squeeze bottles of this in Paul's collection.

The spinach came from a large bag that Paul got at Sendik's.  I wish I would have taken a picture of it since it was HUGE and not any more expensive than a smaller amount.  I used some in a pasta recipe of Elizabeth's earlier in the week and steamed and froze some keeping out a couple cups for this recipe.  I had leftover olives too, so it seemed like a good time to make this.

I'm glad that I finally made this since we all like it and it will be made again at this house.  It comes together quickly and is good. 

 This has been one of the trickiest posts to publish.  I have typed it a few times, downloaded the pictures more than once and loaded it onto the blog a couple times.  I don't know what it is about this one...but it has been a bit of trouble!


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin