Sunday, January 15, 2012

Faux Souvlaki

 What an interesting name!  This recipe comes from my friend Dee...and neither one of us is very confident on the origin of the name of this recipe.  Souvlaki is usually meat and veggies on a skewer, so maybe the faux is since it is put in a pan for roasting?  Maybe Dee made up the "faux" part since she is married to a man from France? 

Anyway, Dee had made it for Eleanor years and years ago and she loved it.  So, I got the recipe to make it at home.  Eleanor still claims that her version tastes better, but I'm fairly confident that Dee gave me the recipe she uses.  So...either she faked me out with giving me a recipe with a missing ingredient, or she just adapts it better as she cooks, or Eleanor was really hungry that day.  I like how I make it, so I'll post that in this episode of freshfamilyfood!  It does seem to be a recipe that would adapt well to changes and substitutions.

It seems to be an especially good weekend dish for us.  I had hoped to make it last weekend but it ended up being delayed since I used the bell peppers for something else.  I had planned to stop at our Sendik's store to get the peppers for this, but when I did my Trader Joe's run at the end of the week bell peppers were on sale there.  It's kinda nice since they had orange peppers on sale also.  It just makes the dish prettier.  This seems to go so well with potatoes...and I had some of those that needed to be used this weekend as well.

The snow outside just seems to call for heartier food in our tummies.
Faux Souvlaki
2 pork tenderloins, cubed
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, cut into chunks
1 yellow pepper, cut into chunks
(I used an orange one also...and an additional red pepper)
salt and pepper
minced garlic
oregano
red wine vinegar
olive oil
Toss all ingredients together and marinate in the fridge for an hour or so.
Roast at 400 degrees for 45 min.


Addendum:  Just to clear the record..Dee assures me that she has the recipe written exactly as  typed above!


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin