Saturday, January 21, 2012

Smoked Pheasant Enchiladas

I have probably mentioned this before....Paul makes an annual trek to visit his family and pheasant hunt every year.  He usually goes with a friend since Eleanor's schedule doesn't allow missing days of school, violin, and swimming.  It's a nice trip for him. 

It's a bit tricky figuring out what to make with pheasant.  I like the flavor...and I do tend to like drier white meat but finding just the right way to serve this bird can be a challenge.  It's been made into soup and to curry in this house...both good.  But, this year Paul smoked it and we froze packages of the smoked pheasant.  That's been the best idea yet!  When I came across a recipe in my collection for smoked turkey enchiladas, I knew I had a reason to use the pheasant!

This recipe was on a card before cardworthiness was in my lingo.  I do remember making it with deli turkey or chicken a long long time ago.  I have the clipping on a card and it has glossy paper, so I maybe got this from a magazine.  I did do a quick computer search to see if I could give credit to the original author but didn't find the exact recipe.  The Wisconsin cheese website has a recipe that is close...but it isn't exactly the one I used.  That recipe calls for canned enchilada sauce which would be a good shortcut.

Smoked Turkey Enchiladas with Green Chile Sauce
Green Chile Sauce (see recipe)
8 (8") flour tortillas
1 lb smoked turkey breast, shredded (pheasant I used was chopped)
2 c hot pepper Monterey jack cheese (divided)
1 c canned black beans, drained (1 can)
Prepare green chile sauce:
1 T oil
1/2 c chopped onion
2 t minced garlic
1 can (15 oz) tomato puree
1 c chicken broth (or 1 c hot water with 2 t chicken boullion)
1 can (4 oz) miled green chiles, drained and diced
1 T red wine vinegar
1 t sugar
1/2 t salt ( I omitted)
1 tomato diced (optional...I omitted)
1/2 t ground cumin
4 T cilantro
1 T fresh lime juice
Heat oil.  Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring constantly until transluscent...about 5 minutes. 
Stir in tomatoe puree, broth, chiles, vinegar, sugar, and cumin.  Reduce heat to medium and cook uncoverd for 15 minutes or so.  Stir in cilantro and lime juice.

Brush one side of each tortilla with sauce.  Layer each tortilla with meat, beans and cheese.  Roll up tightly.  Place seam side down in baking dish.  Pour remaining chile sauce over and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot throughout. 





Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin