Thursday, January 5, 2012

Turkey Sloppy Joes


When Paul is returning
 from an international trip, I like to have something that is very American for dinner the night he returns. Also, it's best if it's in the crockpot so he can have some when he gets in the house since he's often hungry. And, sometimes he isn't hungry when he returns, so it should be something that tastes better the next day. Eleanor isn't a tomato fan, so I'm ready for a recipe with spice and tomatoes since I haven't had that when it has been the two of us.

This recipe works for all those reasons.
1 1/2 lb ground turkey
2 onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
1 T chili powder
2 t oregano
1 c chili sauce
1 T worcestershire sauce

Saute the turkey and onions. Add the rest of the ingredients. I usually do this ahead of time and freeze in a large ziploc bag. Then I can dump it in the crockpot after taking it out of the freezer.
Cook on low 8-10 hours
Cook on high 4-5 hours.


The variations I used for this round were decided since Paul's condiment collection has grown.  He had to take condiments for a work party, so he bought new containers.  Yikes.  We have the leftovers PLUS what we already had.  Note the picture of my 4 containers for recycling after making this.   I used the tomato base products with 1/4 c or less of the item in the container.

Sure glad next Wed is recycling!


Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin