Thursday, January 20, 2011

Spaghetti Freezer Sauce


The CSA box lives on! On one of the deliveries this summer we received our box the day before leaving on vacation. I knew that I had to get the vegetables in a preserved state before leaving since they wouldn't make it until our return. Based on the items, I knew that spaghetti sauce or salsa were the best options; I went for the spaghetti sauce. I'm glad I did because it was nice to pull it out on a winter evening and have a taste of summer during a Wisconsin winter.

Typically if I am going to make tomato sauce I use the method of making an "X" on the end of the tomato and putting it in boiling water for a couple minutes. Then, I plunge it into cold water and peel the skin off. I then cut it in half and squeeze the seeds out. I didn't have time on this day to do all those steps...but that was alright.

OK. The truth is I don't remember (other than above) exactly how I made this, but here's a general idea. I had onion, garlic, peppers, and tomatoes. So, I sauteed the onions in a bit of olive oil and added the remaining ingredients. I did not peel the tomatoes before cooking but rather pulled the tomato skin out of the pan over the course of the cooking time. I added some dried and fresh basil as well as some oregano and cooked it down for quite awhile. Then, I cooled it and put it in the freezer for a quick meal.

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

pin